- 1.What is the main difference between the Ronin-M and the original Ronin?
The Ronin-M is much lighter, more compact, easier to transport, and offers the ability to shoot in a wider variety of shooting scenarios when space and flexibility are key. Perfect for aspiring and professional filmmakers, the Ronin-M makes DJI’s world-class stabilization technology accessible to a wider range of creators.While the original Ronin is still suitable for those who require maximum carrying capacity for full setups that would include very heavy cameras, large lenses, and other professional tools to be used together, the Ronin-M is powerful enough to hold and stabilize setups for most shooting situations.
- 2.What is the Ronin-M for?
The Ronin-M is a 3-axis camera stabilization gimbal that holds a wide variety of cameras, giving you smooth, stable, hand-held footage in most conditions.
- 3.What is SmoothTrack mode?
SmoothTrack gives a single gimbal operator the ability to transform their tilt and pan movements into smooth and stabilized camera angle changes. This makes framing wide-angle or close scenes significantly easier for a single operator.
- 4.How much does the Ronin-M weigh?
It weighs 2.3kg (5lbs), almost half the weight of the original Ronin, including the handlebar and battery.
- 5.Why does the Ronin-M weigh only 5 lbs?
The Ronin-M’s frame is made out of magnesium. Most other gimbal stabilization systems shy away from using magnesium because it is so difficult to manufacture and work with, but the increased stiffness and decreased weight of magnesium marks the next generation of camera stabilization technology.
- 6.How much weight can the Ronin-M hold?
The maximum load weight of the Ronin-M is 3.6kg (8lbs).
- 7.What is Ronin-M made of?
The main body of the gimbal is made of magnesium.
- 8.What kind of cameras does the Ronin-M support?
The Ronin-M supports a wide variety of camera systems that weigh less than 3.6kg (8lbs). This includes the Sony A7S, Canon 5D, Nikon D800, Panasonic GH4, and more. The Ronin-M can be easily balanced and auto-tunes to support your preferred setup.
- 9.What is the controllable range of the Ronin-M?
The Ronin-M offers a much wider range of control on both the tilt (105⁰ Up, 165⁰ Down) and roll (± 110⁰) axes than the original Ronin.
- 10.What is Silent Mode?
Silent Made has been incorporated to reduce the noise of the Ronin-M’s motors, as may be needed in specific shooting situations including indoors or in tight spaces. The Ronin-M’s stabilization algorithms are instantly changed to focus on strength for minute changes and stabilization, ensuring the sound of the motors is not recorded by sensitive microphones or other recording equipment.
- 11.How do I remove the handlebars individually? Why would I want to do this?
The left and right handlebars screw off and on quickly and easily. This may be required if you wish to shoot in a very tight area where space is limited, or to transport the Ronin-M.
- 12.Is it difficult to balance and start using?
It is very easy to balance your camera and start shooting. No tools are needed to balance the camera, and Auto Tune Stability works at the tap of a button. Changing the setup for different camera arrangements is quick and simple.
- 13.Does the Ronin-M come with a carrying case?
The Ronin-M has a dedicated carrying case, but you need to purchase it separately.
- 14.Does the Ronin-M come with a remote control?
Yes, the Ronin-M ships with a 2nd operator transmitter, which allows a 2nd operator to pan, tilt, and roll the camera independent of the Ronin-M’s movement. The 2nd operator transmitter also allows for mode and speed selection.
- 15.Does the Ronin-M come with a stand?
Yes, it comes with a tuning stand for suspending or storing the Ronin. This stand can be extended and the upper half can be removed by loosening the knob at the top, so you can use it with any standard C-stand. When using a C-stand, be sure to check the balance of the stand so the Ronin-M doesn’t tip over. When setting the stand on a table, ensure the table is flat and even.
- 16.How long can the Ronin-M operate with a fully charged battery?
With the old 3400mAh 4S smart battery fully charged, the Ronin-M can run for over 6 hours, depending on the attached camera rig and gimbal usage.With the new 1580mAh 4S smart battery fully charged, the Ronin-M can run for over 3 hours, depending on the attached camera rig and gimbal usage.
- 17.How many batteries are included with the Ronin-M?
The Ronin-M includes two batteries.The Ronin-M you bought earlier includes one battery.
- 18.Can the original Ronin battery be used with the Ronin-M or vice versa?
The original Ronin battery can be used with the Ronin-M, but the Ronin-M battery cannot be used in the original Ronin.
- 19.Is the Ronin-M battery the same as those for the Phantom 2/3 series aircraft?
No, the Ronin-M battery is different from the DJI Intelligent Flight Battery used with the Phantom 2/3 series.
- 20.Can I use the Phantom 2/3 series charger to charge the Ronin-M battery?
No, please use the included Ronin-M battery charger.
- 21.What is the control range of the Ronin-M remote control?
The control range is around 100-200m when using the included remote control and built-in DJI receiver. A D-bus port is also available if a non-DJI receiver is required.
- 22.Do I need any special instructions or tools to assemble the Ronin-M?
No, assembling the Ronin-M is very easy, as only the top handle bar, which features a quick release button, must be attached before use. Optionally, each side of the handle bars may be unscrewed and during shooting or transport. Assembly does not require any tools.
- 23.What is the Ronin-M mobile app used for?
The DJI Assistant app allows easy configuration of all system parameters on the fly via Bluetooth.
- 24.How can I download the Ronin-M app and which operating systems are supported?
Search “DJI Assistant” on App Store to download the iOS version. An Android app will be available soon.
- 25.Is the Ronin-M remote control the same as those for the Phantom?
No, the Ronin-M is not compatible with the DJI Phantom remotes.
- 26.Is the Ronin-M waterproof?
No. The system battery, motors, and other electronic equipment are not waterproof.
- 27.Can I mount the Ronin-M onto a multirotor/flying platform?
The Ronin-M was designed for handheld stabilization but features a quick-release mount that may be attached to compatible aircraft. Note that the Ronin-M does not have a dedicated aerial damping plate or rubber dampers and stabilization results when flying may vary. Any flying platform that the Ronin-M is attached to must meet the flight payload requirements for both the Ronin-M and your camera system.
- 1.Can insufficient motor power cause the Ronin-M to vibrate?
No. In most cases, vibrations will be caused by improper assembly. To eliminate vibrations, make sure that the lens support is correctly assembled and that the gimbal is properly balanced, before powering on the unit. If there are still vibrations within your unit after powering on the gimbal, adjust the stiffness of each axis until the vibrations disappear.
- 2.What should I do if the temperature of one of the motors of the Ronin-M is very high?
Please make sure that your Ronin-M firmware is of the latest version by connecting the Ronin-M to the DJI Assistant software for Windows or Mac OS X and check the firmware version under the “Upgrade” tab. Additionally, confirm that the gimbal is correctly balanced before powering the unit on, as improper balance could cause high temperatures.
- 3.What should I do if videos captured are shaky and not properly stabilized?
Make sure that the lens support is correctly assembled before powering on and that the gimbal is properly balanced. If the issue still exists after powering on the gimbal, adjust the stiffness of each axis and increase the deadband of each axis.
- 4.Does DJI offer a dedicated backpack or transportation solution for the Ronin-M?
The Ronin-M has a dedicated carrying case, but you need to purchase it separately.-
- 5.Why is there noise and vibrations coming from the gimbal during the Auto Tune Stability calibration?
It is normal for the gimbal to vibrate and emit noise during the Auto Tune Stability calibration.
- 6.Why is the real-time data returned by the Ronin-M abnormal while connected to the DJI Ronin-M Assistant software?
This is likely to be caused by an outdated version of the software being used. Please visit DJI.COM and download the latest version of the DJI Ronin-M Assistant.
- 7.When do I need to use Auto Tune Stability to calibrate the Ronin-M?
Whenever you change cameras or add/remove accessories that change the weight of the camera, you must manually rebalance the Ronin-M and then use Auto Tune Stability to calibrate it.
- 8.How do I connect the Ronin-M to the DJI Assistant app for Android and iOS?
After enabling Bluetooth on your mobile device, return to the DJI Assistant app to connect to the Ronin-M. The Ronin-M will not appear in the mobile device’s Bluetooth device list. It can only be seen via the DJI Assistant app.
- 9.What is the default password for the Ronin-M in the DJI Assistant app?
There is no default password set for the Ronin-M. If you forget your password, please connect your Ronin-M to the DJI Ronin-M Assistant software for Windows or Mac OS X, click “Reset Password”, and then connect the Ronin-M to the DJI Assistant app for Android or iOS to reset your password.
- 10.Why does my Ronin-M not follow the movement of the roll-axis after I select roll-axis SmoothTrack?
Please make sure that Briefcase mode is turned off and increase the speed and lower the deadband of the roll-axis. You can set these parameters through the DJI Assistant app for Android or iOS, or through the DJI Ronin-M Assistant software for Windows and Mac OS X.
- 11.Can I use third party remote control to control the Ronin-M?
Yes. The Ronin-M supports 2.4Ghz remote controls and has a D-Bus port if you wish to use a non-DJI receiver. PPM receivers are not supported.
- 12.Is the Ronin-M difficult to operate?
With a little practice, the Ronin-M takes less than 5 minutes to set up and balance whenever the camera configuration is changed. It is very easy to operate once setup.
- 13.Does the Ronin-M support firmware updates? How is it updated?
All units have the latest firmware when shipped, and free firmware updates will be made available online for improved performance and future features. Download the updates and use a standard USB cable to update the Ronin’s firmware through the PC Assistant.
- 14.What is Single Axis Follow Mode?
Single Axis Follow mode instructs your Ronin-M to apply SmoothTrack to only one axis of motion, while keeping your camera perfectly stable and still on the other two axes. For example, this can be used to only allow SmoothTrack to move your camera along the pan axis, while ignoring any accidental motions that would otherwise tilt or roll the camera along those axes.
- 15.How can I use the Ronin-M with the DJI Lightbridge?
A connection port for the DJI Lightbridge is provided on the power distribution box.
- 16.How many operation modes does the Ronin-M have and how do I switch between the modes?
There are three different modes of operation. These allow the Ronin-M to be used in different scenarios. They are Upright mode, Underslung mode, and Briefcase mode.The default operation mode is Underslung mode.To switch to Upright mode from Underslung mode, turn the Ronin-M so the front faces toward you. Flip the gimbal over to bring the camera closer to eye level for a higher perspective.To switch to Briefcase mode from Underslung mode, turn the handlebar 90 degrees from the gimbal, then swing the handlebar downward until the mode automatically changes. Briefcase mode must be activated in the Assistant app.
- 17.How can one operator use the Ronin-M?
In SmoothTrack mode, the Ronin-M will automatically point the camera where you want it to go. A single thumb control will be made available for the Ronin-M for greater control.
- 18.Do I need any tools to setup and balance the Ronin-M?
A built-in balance adjustment system means no tools are needed for setup and balance. Changing the setup for different camera arrangements is quick and simple. An allen wrench is included that is used to fasten or loosen the camera mounting plate, or tighten down adjustment knobs.
- 19.How can I install follow focus systems or other powered accessories on the Ronin-M?
Follow focus systems and matte boxes can be easily mounted on the Ronin-M by using industry standard dual 15mm segmented rods. The segmented rods may be customized to different lengths, depending on your camera and lens setup. Two regulated 12V P-taps and one 500mAH full size USB connector offer a convenient power source for various accessories, including follow focus systems, HD video downlinks, and others.
- 20.How many times can the Ronin-M battery be used?
You can charge and discharge the battery about 400 times.
- 21.How long does it take to fully charge the battery?
The old battery needs approximately 60 minutes.The new battery needs around 70 minutes.
- 22.Can the Ronin-M provide power for other equipment or cameras?
Two regulated 12V P-taps, one 500mAH full size USB connector, and one DJI Lightbridge HD Video Downlink port offer a convenient power source for other equipment, all while keeping the wiring to a minimum. The system cannot provide power for additional cameras.
- 23.How long is the Ronin-M Warranty?
The standard Ronin-M has a limited 1 year warranty, but this may vary depending on your country. For more details, please go to https://www.dji.com/service
- 24.What is the fastest way to setup the Ronin?
First install the top handle bar, then install the battery, then mount your camera, adjust the balance, and tap the Auto Tune Stability button, and you are ready to go. Further setup and customization may be done via the DJI Assistant mobile app.
- 25.What is the difference between the new battery and the old one?
The new 1580mAh battery weights 196g and can run for 3 hours. The Ronin-M is equipped with 2 new batteries.The old 3400mAh battery weights 330g and can run for 6 hours. The Ronin-M is equipped with 1 old battery.
- 26.Is it ok to charge the new battery with the old charger or the old battery with the new charger?
No. You must charge the new battery with the new charger, and the old battery with the old charger.
- 27.Can I use the new battery for the Ronin-M which I bought earlier?
Yes. But the Ronin-M needs to be upgraded with the latest firmware before using the new battery.