- 1.What is the Ronin for?
Developed for the filmmaking professional, the Ronin is a 3-axis stabilization gimbal that can hold a wide variety of cameras, giving you smooth, stable, hand-held footage in most conditions.
- 2.What is SmoothTrack mode?
SmoothTrack gives a single gimbal operator the ability to transform their tilt and pan movements on the gimbal into smooth and stabilized camera angle changes. This makes framing wide-angle or close scenes significantly easier for a single operator.
- 3.How much does the Ronin weigh?
It weighs 4.20kg (9.26lbs), including the handlebar and battery.
- 4.Why does the Ronin weigh 9.26 lbs?
The Ronin is made out of aluminum alloy. This means that compared to other handheld gimbals, it has a greater load capacity and has greater structural stability.
- 5.How much weight can the Ronin hold?
The maximum load weight of the Ronin is 7.25kg (16lbs).
- 6.What is Ronin made of?
The handlebar is made of carbon fiber and the main body of the gimbal is made of aluminum alloy.
- 7.What kind of cameras does the Ronin support?
It currently supports cameras with a maximum depth of 140 mm (measured from the CG), a maximum height of 225 mm, and a maximum width of 195mm. The maximum load weight is 7.25kg (16lbs). Cameras such as the BMPCC, BMCC, Canon 1Dc, Canon 5D MK II, Canon 5D MK III, Canon 6D, Canon 7D, Canon C100, Canon C300, Canon C500, Nikon D800, Panasonic GH3/GH4, Red Epic/Scarlet, Sony Nex7, among others, can be used.
- 8.Is it difficult to balance the gimbal and camera?
No. No tools are needed to balance the camera. Changing the setup for different camera arrangements is quick and simple.
- 9.Does the Ronin come with a carrying case?
Yes, the Ronin comes with an extremely strong, durable, water-tight carrying case with rolling wheels, and extensible handle for easy transportation.
- 10.Does the Ronin come with a remote control?
Yes, the Ronin ships with a 2nd operator transmitter, this allows a 2nd operator to pan, tilt, and roll the camera independent of the Ronin’s movement. The 2nd operator transmitter also allows for mode and speed selection.
- 11.Does the Ronin come with a stand?
Yes, it comes with a tuning stand for suspending or storing the Ronin. The upper half of this tuning stand can be removed by loosening the knob at the top, so you can use it with any C-stand. When using a C-stand, be sure to check the balance of the stand so the Ronin doesn’t tip over. When setting the stand on a table, ensure the table is flat and even.
- 12.How long can the Ronin operate with a fully charged battery?
With the old 3400mAh 4S smart battery fully charged, the Ronin can run for over 4 hours, depending on the attached camera rig and gimbal usage.
With the new 4350mAh 4S smart battery fully charged, the Ronin can run for over 6 hours, depending on the attached camera rig and gimbal usage.
- 13.How many batteries does the Ronin include in the box?
The Ronin includes only one battery, but there are three positions reserved for storing extra batteries.
- 14.Is the Ronin battery the same as those for the Phantom 2 series aircraft?
No, the Ronin battery is a 4S and those for the Phantom 2 series are 3S.
- 15.Can I use the Phantom 2 series charger to charge the Ronin battery?
No, please use the Ronin battery charger.
- 16.What is the control range of the Ronin remote control?
The control range is around 100-200m when using the included remote control and built-in DJI receiver. A D-bus port is also included if a non-DJI receiver is required.
- 17.Do I need any special instructions or tools to assemble the Ronin?
No, assembling the Ronin is very easy, as only the top handle bar, which features a quick release button, must be attached before use.
- 18.What is the Ronin App used for?
The DJI Assistant app allows easy configuration of all system parameters on the fly via Bluetooth.
- 19.How can I download the Ronin app and which operating systems are supported?
Search “DJI Assistant” on App Store to download the iOS version. An Android app will be available soon.
- 20.Is the Ronin remote control the same as those for the Phantom?
The Phantom 2 remote control is compatible, while the Phantom 2 Vision and Vision+ remote controls are not. The Ronin uses a 2.4Ghz remote control. You can pair it with other 2.4Ghz remote controls such as a Futaba transmitter or use a third party S-BUS/PPM remote control or receiver.
- 21.Is the Ronin waterproof?
No. The system battery, motors, and other electronic equipment are not waterproof.
- 22.Can I mount the Ronin on an aircraft?
Yes. The top bar features a quick release system allowing easy attachment and detachment. The same attachment can be used for mounting the Ronin to a vehicle, crane or multi-rotor.
- 1.Can I use third party remote control to control the Ronin?
Yes. The Ronin supports 2.4Ghz remote controls and has a D-Bus port if you wish to use a non-DJI receiver.
- 2.Is the Ronin difficult to operate?
With a little practice, the Ronin takes less than 5 minutes to set up and balance whenever the camera configuration is changed. It is very easy to operate once setup.
- 3.Does the Ronin support firmware updates? How is it updated?
All units have the latest firmware when shipped, and firmware updates will be made available online for improved performance and future features. Download the updates and use a standard USB cable to update the Ronin’s firmware through the PC Assistant.
- 4.How can I use the Ronin with the DJI Lightbridge?
A connection port for the DJI Lightbridge is provided on the power distribution box.
- 5.How many operation modes does the Ronin have and how do I switch between the modes?
There are three different modes of operation. These allow the Ronin to be used in different scenarios. They are Upright mode, Underslung mode, and Briefcase mode.
The default operation mode is Underslung mode.
To switch to Upright mode from Underslung mode, turn the Ronin so the front faces toward you. Flip the gimbal over to bring the camera closer to eye level for a higher perspective.
To switch to Briefcase mode from Underslung mode, turn the handlebar 90 degrees from the gimbal, then swing the handlebar downward until the mode automatically changes. Briefcase mode must be activated in the Assistant app.
- 6.What are the two three-position switches on the Ronin remote control for?
The Mode switch is used for switching between SmoothTrack mode positions 1, 2, and 3. The Function switch is used to select the SmoothTrack speed. There are 3 possible selections: fast, normal and slow. The value of each speed can be preset in the App or PC Assistant. Also, quickly toggling the Function switch between Position 1 and Position 3 three times will activate the motor kill switch. Do the same again to turn off the motor kill switch.
- 7.How can one operator use the Ronin?
In SmoothTrack mode, the Ronin will automatically point the camera where you want it to go. A single thumb control will be made available for the Ronin for greater control.
- 8.Do I need any tools to setup and balance the Ronin?
A built-in balance adjustment system means no tools are needed for setup and balance. Changing the setup for different camera arrangements is quick and simple. An allen wrench is included that is used to fasten or loosen the camera mounting plate, or tighten down adjustment knobs.
- 9.How can I install follow focus systems or other powered accessories on the Ronin?
Follow focus systems and matte boxes can be easily mounted on the Ronin by using industry standard dual 15mm segmented rods. The segmented rods may be customized to different lengths, depending on your camera and lens setup. Two regulated 12V P-taps and one 500mAH full size USB connector offer a convenient power source for various accessories, including follow focus systems, HD video downlinks, and others.
- 10.Can the Ronin carry bigger cameras such as the Sony F55?
An accessory will be made available in the future for the use of larger cameras.
- 11.How many times can the Ronin battery be used?
You can charge and discharge the battery about 200-300 times.
- 12.How long does it take to fully charge the battery?
The old battery needs approximately 60 minutes.
The new battery needs around 95 minutes.
- 13.Can the Ronin provide power for other equipment or cameras?
Two regulated 12V P-taps, one 500mAH full size USB connector, and one DJI Lightbridge HD Video Downlink port offer a convenient power source for other equipment, all while keeping the wiring to a minimum. The system cannot provide power for additional cameras.
- 14.How long is the Ronin Warranty?
The standard Ronin has a limited 1 year warranty, but this may vary depending on your country. For more details, please go to https://www.dji.com/service
- 15.What kind of flying platforms are able to carry the Ronin?
The flying platform must have enough payload capacity and stability to carry the full weight of the Ronin plus your accessories. Please note that unlike the Zenmuse series of gimbals, the Ronin does not have rubber dampers.
- 16.What is the fastest way to setup the Ronin?
Install the top handle bar, install the battery, mount the camera, adjust the balance, and tap the Auto Tune Stability button, then it is ready to use. Further setup and customization may be done via the Dji Assistant mobile app.
- 17.Is it ok to charge the new battery with the old charger or the old battery with the new charger?
We suggest charging the new battery with the new charger, since the old charger can only charge 90% capacity of the new battery. And you must charge the old battery with the old charger.