What precautions should be taken when installing and debugging the DJI O3 Air Unit?
The DJI O3 Air Unit is integrated with a transmission module and a camera module. Compared with the last generation DJI Digital FPV System, the size of the DJI O3 Air Unit is reduced by 40%, while the power consumption is increased by 40%. Due to its heat dissipation requirements, ventilation and heat dissipation measures must be taken during installation and debugging in order to avoid the equipment overheating or abnormal use. The installation method will also affect the cooling effect of the device.
I. Installation and Debugging Instructions:
1. DJI O3 Air Unit standby time: 8 mins (in 25°C/77°F environments), 5 mins (in 35°C/95°F environments).
2. When installing the DJI O3 Air Unit, make sure that the RX and TX are properly connected to the flight control board.
3. The DJI O3 Air Unit has two sets of temperature control strategies for the standby state and the flight state. It can apply different temperature control strategies according to the current state.
a. In the standby state, the protection system will be activated to automatically shut down the air unit when the temperature threshold is exceeded.
b. In the flight state, there will be a prompt alert when the temperature threshold is exceeded, and the video recording will terminate. At this time, the video transmission will remain connected, and the aircraft will have approximately 30 seconds to return and land. If the internal temperature of the IC board continues to rise, the protection system will be activated to shut down the air unit automatically.
II. Installation Suggestions:
1. The basic principle is to facilitate heat dissipation.
2. It is recommended to install the air unit in a position close to the propellers (distance between the air unit and the propellers within 10 mm), so that the downwash airflow can be effectively utilized. Try to avoid an installation position far from the propellers.
3. It is recommended to use a heat-conductive material to connect the frame and the air unit. This will dissipate heat to the carbon plate and the other non-conductive metal components of the frame. Conducting heat will extend the operating time.
4. Do not install the air unit in an enclosed area.
5. After the air unit is powered on, its metal shell will become hot. Therefore, the air unit should not be installed in a position easily accessible or held by hand.
What should I do if the video image shakes with RockSteady enabled?
Mechanical vibration at certain frequencies may result in abnormal EIS performance of DJI O3 Air Unit. The principles are as follows:
I. IMU Resonance
The usual ESC PWM control frequency is 24 kHz by default, and the camera IMU frequency is approximately 24-30 kHz. If there is no effective vibration absorbing measure, the motor vibration may be transmitted to the camera IMU, causing resonance because the frequencies coincide. The resonance will affect the IMU data accuracy and EIS performance of the video stabilization application.* As a result, the processed video image shakes, but the live view image is not affected. Usually, frames with TPU or vibration-absorbing rubber are not prone to IMU resonance.
* Video stabilization application refers to either the DJI O3 Air Unit EIS function or third-party video stabilization software.
II. Propeller Vibration
If the rolling shutter effect appears in both the live view and the video image, it is usually because the propeller vibration (frequency is approximately a few hundred Hz) is transmitted to the camera through the aircraft frame.
Follow the steps below to troubleshoot and fix the image stabilization issue:
Step 1: Rule out the IMU resonance issue.
1. Remove the propellers from the aircraft. Make sure that the camera is securely mounted and the aircraft is placed in a stationary position on the ground. Then, enable RockSteady and start recording.
2. Start the motors and slowly push the throttle to the full throttle position. Observe the live view in the goggles. If the live view is not shaking, stop the motors and stop recording. Otherwise, check the camera and make sure that it is securely mounted.
3. Export the recorded video and check it. If the video image shakes, the issue is most likely caused by the resonance between the frame and the camera IMU.
In this case, refer to the following solutions:
a. Change the ESC PWM control frequency to 48 kHz or 96 kHz and test again.
b. If the video image shakes after solution a is adopted, apply a softer vibration-absorbing structure between the camera and the aircraft frame. Repeat the above testing procedures until the video image does not shake.
Step 2: After ruling out the IMU resonance issue, check if the video image has the rolling shutter effect caused by propeller vibration.
1. Install the propellers back and make sure that the propellers are not damaged. Fly the aircraft and start recording with RockSteady enabled.
2. Check the video image after the flight. If the video image does not have a rolling effect, the debugging is completed.
3. If the video image has a rolling shutter effect, try the following solutions:
a. Adjust the vibration-absorbing structure between the camera and the aircraft frame again.
b. Adjust the tightness of the screws that fasten the camera to the aircraft frame.
If the issue still exists after all of the above methods are completed, contact DJI Support.
How do I fix the DJI O3 Air Unit camera module?
The camera module can be fixed using screws. There are M2.0 standard screw ports on both sides of the camera, which are compatible with standard M2.0 screws on the market. Users can purchase corresponding screws according to actual needs.
The purchase of a DJI O3 Air Unit camera module includes four 4mm M2.0 screws.
Does the DJI O3 Air Unit support disassembly and replacement?
Yes. The replaceable accessories include the DJI O3 Air Unit transmission module, camera module, and antenna.
Please purchase related accessories at DJI Store, and follow the tutorial video for replacement.
Can the DJI O3 Air Unit connect to cameras of other brands?
Which flight controller firmware does the DJI O3 Air Unit support?
The DJI O3 Air Unit supports Betaflight 4.3.0 and higher versions.
Does the DJI O3 Air Unit support DJI A3 or N3 flight controller hardware?
What should I be cautious of when using the DJI O3 Air Unit?
When using the DJI O3 Air Unit alone:
1. Do not fly in areas with strong signal interference, such as areas with strong Wi-Fi signals.
2. Avoid long-distance low-altitude flying.
3. If you mount an external camera device on the aircraft, please turn off its Wi-Fi to avoid interference.
What precautions should be taken when using the DJI O3 Air Unit in other countries or regions?
When using the DJI O3 Air Unit in other countries or regions, make sure you check and follow local radio frequency laws and regulations. Connect to DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series) and the software will automatically tune the system settings to be in adherence with local laws and regulations.
What precautions should be taken after powering on the DJI O3 Air Unit?
The air unit may become hot during or after operation. Do not touch the air unit before it cools down.
Do not use the air unit for an extended period when the temperature is high or there is poor ventilation. Otherwise, the air unit may overheat, which will affect the performance.
Functions and Usage
What functions can the DJI O3 Air Unit achieve?
Integrating DJI's cutting-edge video transmission technology into a lightweight and compact body, the DJI O3 Air Unit can easily achieve excellent video transmission quality with high definition, low latency, and at long distances.
It provides advanced imaging performance, coming with a 1/1.7-inch sensor, a 155° super-wide FOV, and many other upgrades, bringing video transmission to a whole new level.
How do I activate and update the DJI O3 Air Unit?
Visit the product page of the DJI O3 Air Unit on the official DJI website to download and install DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series). Start and connect each module to DJI Assistant 2, respectively, for activation and updates.
Will video recording increase the video transmission latency?
It will not affect the video transmission latency.
Are DJI Goggles 2 and DJI FPV Goggles V2 compatible with analog video transmission?
DJI Goggles 2 is incompatible with analog video transmission.
After switching to DJI Digital FPV System mode, DJI FPV Goggles V2 supports the AV IN function, which allows it to be used with analog video transmission receivers. However, it is not recommended to use analog video transmission and DJI digital video transmission at the same time.
If DJI Goggles 2, DJI FPV Goggles V2, or DJI FPV Remote Controller 2 has a record of linking with an DJI O3 Air Unit, and I want to use it with another air unit, do I need to re-link when connecting to the former air unit?
No. DJI Goggles 2, DJI FPV Goggles V2, and DJI FPV Remote Controller 2 can memorize the linking with an air unit, so you don't need to re-link when connecting again.
If DJI Goggles 2 or DJI FPV Goggles V2 are in Audience mode, will they receive the same image resolution as the host goggles?
In Audience mode, the goggles and the air unit use one-way communication, so the image received by the goggles may be degraded due to interference, but the image received by the pilot's goggles (host goggles) will not be affected.
To ensure a satisfying user experience, please select a proper viewing position, and try to avoid blocking the signal between the goggles in Audience mode and the air unit.
Does the DJI O3 Air Unit support photo taking?
Does the DJI O3 Air Unit support adjusting flight controller parameters?
The DJI O3 Air Unit supports adjusting flight controller parameters, but the flight controller should support Canvas mode.
Can I fly a racing drone using the DJI O3 Air Unit at the same time as other racing drones using analog video transmission?
It is not recommended to do so. The DJI O3 Air Unit uses the frequency band of 5.725-5.850 GHz. When it is used together with analog video transmission in the 5.8 GHz channel, the signals will interfere with each other and affect the user experience.
What would happen if I do not activate the DJI O3 Air Unit?
An unactivated DJI O3 Air Unit will not display the video transmission. You will not be able to set functions or select other channels.
Is the DJI O3 Air Unit compatible with remote controllers of other brands?
Yes. No external receiver is required to use the DJI FPV Remote Controller 2, while additional receivers are required to use remote controllers of other brands.
Search for More Information
Online Customer Service
Contact online customer service for immediate support.